Sunday, 2 May 2010

You A'int Gonna Lose a Thing!


Asalamu ailakum wa rahmat Allah wa barkatoo and HellOooo!
You pass someone by, ask them “How are you”, and before they even finish their sentence, you’re already walking past them, with your Colgate smile and your head bobbing up and down….Sixty seconds later, you’re gone….
My professor had a term for it.
He called it
emotional stinginess”.
That’s right. Being stingy with our emotions!
I’m guilty of it, myself.
But why? Why do we do that? 
Why is it that when we ask “How are you”, what we really mean is: ”You’re fine, I’m fine, good, bye”?
Why is that we don’t bother ourselves ‘to care’ anymore? To ask from our hearts?


Why is that when I log on to facebook, I see a friend has said she has been accepted to a great university for the summer course and no one has responded to her. Just one lousy ‘like’? (You know that facebook option?  It’s turned us into monosyllabic uncaring emotionally constipated people!)
What happened to “Wow, that’s great. I’m proud of you. Wait to go”?
What happened to listening from our hearts?
I look around me and I see stinginess…
And I see starvation.
I see people starved for just a little empathy, a little understanding, a shoulder to cry on, a knowing look, a smile that says, “I know what you mean. I’ve been there. Hang on, you’ll get there”.
Heck, I see people starved for even 'the like' button on facebook to be clicked (since people are even stingy with this!).
Maybe the problem is that we don’t realize how much you ‘take’ when you invest a little in your self, give a little bit of your heart to someone.
You gain back a little bit of your own heart,
You gain back
—humanity.
P.S. Yeah, I wasn’t done with the whole ‘silence roaring’ thing. Tomorrow, I’ll try and talk about something different, inshaAllah (God willing).
Photobucket
P.S. for my Muslim readers- 
"The example of Muslims, in their love for each other, and their compassion and kindness towards each other, is that of one body, if any limb of it were to suffer, the whole body would respond with fever and sleeplessness.” 

3 comments:

  1. you said it! great reminder!

    i often think of this but not always act by it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, this is one of the reasons I got off FB.. Of course, other ones too. But, people seemed so absorbed in their "own" lives. I am really one of those people who ask, "how are you?" even to strangers. LOL oddly enough. I wanna bring sunshine into peoples hearts. I wanna make people feel that they can live. Even if I am having a bad day. I don't wanna ever tell anyone. Try it. Walk into a room and if they're all Muslims, tell them salam! BIG! and if they're non-Muslims! say, hello and ask them how they're doing. It's simple. I think we are afraid of rejection. LOL that's it. it's easy, to easy.

    What a great post! makes one think!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. You know my Syrian friend said this was the best thing he loved about me when we first met. He was used to people not really listening and caring. I'm not always good at it, but sometimes I am and with him, I was. And our mutual listening and sharing and caring lead to a great friendship where we learn much from each other. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Hey :D So am I talking to myself or...? Tell me what you think :D