Thursday, 3 June 2010

You'll have to thank my commentators...

Asalamau aliakum wa rahmat Allah wa barkatoo and Hello!

I want to thank each and everyone of you who has commented on my blog. Also, my apologies if I have failed to comment on yours. But recently, there were two really 'fabulous' comments on my blog that have actually inspired this post- you can pretty much thank them for this :P

First, Oldie goldie's comment regarding the situation in Palestine and Israel and how on a personal level Jews and Muslims can be friends. I told her how I agree with this and how I've taken a test before that said I coulud be 93%  Orthodox Jewish. I looked the quiz up and took it again- this time, it was even 97%! I must have not 'selected ' something last time that was 'needed' to be Jewish, hehe.

Anyways, I am asking you to take it for fun! Here were my results: (it's really interesting because it makes you realize that other religions may be quite similar to yours.)

1. Islam (100%)

2. Orthodox Judaism (97%)

3.Sikhism (95%)


4. Jainism (88%)

5. Baha'i Faith (88%)

6. Reform Judaism (86%)

7. Mahayana Buddhism (80%)

8. Orthodox Quaker (78%)

9. Liberal Quakers (73%)

10. Theravada Buddhism (71%)

11. Hinduism (70%)

12. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (69%) [I've always wondered about Mormons! Any Mormons out there? Can you tell me how you are 'different' from other Christians?]

13. Unitarian Universalism (67%) {See Mormons!}

14. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (63%)

15. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (62%)

16. Neo-Pagan (60%)

17. Seventh Day Adventist (59%) (What's that?) 

18. Eastern Orthodox (54%)

19. Roman Catholic (54%)

20. Jehovah's Witness (53%)

21. New Age (51%)

22. Taoism (40%)

23. Scientology (36%)

24. Secular Humanism (36%)

25. New Thought (35%)

26. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (26%)

27. Nontheist (22%)


This is what the website says, (hehe): Even if YOU don't know what faith you are, Belief-O-MaticTM knows. Answer 20 questions about your concept of God, the afterlife, human nature, and more, and Belief-O-Matic™ will tell you what religion (if any) you practice...or ought to consider practicing.


Warning: Belief-O-Matic™ assumes no legal liability for the ultimate fate of your soul. (Hehehe!)

Click here and tell me your results!


The second comment that I noticed was by anonymous. I loved the link they provided for me in the Mountain vs. Fly post, so I'm putting it up here :D Imam As Shafi was one of the greatest greatest Islamic scholars out there- he, with 3 others, are often referred to for their fiqh or jursprudence rulings. When asked how he was feeling on his death bed, he had this to say (remember, this is translated from Arabic, so it doesn't necessarily sound like "English").

“I am journeying from this world, and departing from my brothers, drinking from the cup of death, and upon Allah, Exalted is His remembrance, arriving. And no! By Allah, I do not know if my soul is travelling towards Paradise or the Fire!”


He then began to cry profusely and recited the following,

‘In You, the Creator, I raise my longing, and even if I am, O Possessor of Kindness and Generosity, an evildoer, a criminal…

When my heart became hardened and my paths became narrow,

I took my hope in Your pardon and forgiveness as an opening and an escape,

My sins seemed very great to me but when I compared them to Your forgiveness,


I found Your forgiveness to be far greater,

You are and still remain the only One who can forgive sins,

You grant and forgive out of Your benevolence and generosity,

Perhaps the One who is the source of all goodness will forgive and overlook my mistakes,

And will hide the sins and burden that I accumulated,

My sins seemed very great to me, so I turned (to You) in humility,

Were it not for my contentment in you, I wouldn’t, O my Lord, have seen any comfort at all,

So if You forgive me, You would have forgiven a sinner, A rebellious, oppressive tyrant still sinning,

My crime is very great, past and present, But Your forgiveness that embraces Your servant is greater and higher,

So whomsoever holds fast to Allaah  (God) is truly saved from mankind, And whosever’s hopes are in Him, will be far removed from any regrets.’




Photobucket

p.s. I may be back later with another post ;) I've got something "I want to write" but am being too lazy, hehe.

7 comments:

  1. this was pretty interesting.. look what i got! i didn't fully understnad all the questions, but i guess i took them the right way..

    1. Islam (100%)
    2. Orthodox Judaism (100%)
    3. Reform Judaism (83%)
    4. Sikhism (80%)
    5. Baha'i Faith (79%)
    6. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (78%)
    7. Orthodox Quaker (77%)
    8. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (71%)
    9. Jainism (70%)
    10. Liberal Quakers (63%)
    11. Jehovah's Witness (61%)
    12. Eastern Orthodox (61%)
    13. Roman Catholic (61%)
    14. Seventh Day Adventist (56%)
    15. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (54%)
    16. Mahayana Buddhism (52%)
    17. Unitarian Universalism (51%)
    18. Hinduism (47%)
    19. Neo-Pagan (43%)
    20. Theravada Buddhism (41%)
    21. New Age (37%)
    22. Scientology (34%)
    23. New Thought (29%)
    24. Secular Humanism (29%)
    25. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (28%)
    26. Taoism (24%)
    27. Nontheist (23%)

    sis, the seventh day adventists are a group of protestants. i don't know exactly what's the difference to other protestants, but at least, they expect Christ to return quickly and their holiday is Saturday, not Sunday like most christians. and i think they don't eat pork because in the book of moses it's mentioned as unclean animal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Assalamu alaikum,

    sorry can't comment much on the second part, although I have a lot to say. But wanted to share with you the result of the quiz. I thought it was interesting:

    How did the Belief-O-Matic do? Discuss your results on our message boards.
    1. Islam (100%)
    2. Orthodox Judaism (100%)
    3. Sikhism (89%)
    4. Jainism (86%)
    5. Orthodox Quaker (84%)
    6. Baha'i Faith (83%)
    7. Reform Judaism (82%)
    8. Liberal Quakers (73%)
    9. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (70%)
    10. Mahayana Buddhism (66%)
    11. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (66%)
    12. Seventh Day Adventist (65%)
    13. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (62%)
    14. Hinduism (62%)
    15. Jehovah's Witness (60%)
    16. Theravada Buddhism (60%)
    17. Unitarian Universalism (58%)
    18. Eastern Orthodox (54%)
    19. Roman Catholic (54%)
    20. Neo-Pagan (38%)
    21. Taoism (38%)
    22. New Age (33%)
    23. Scientology (32%)
    24. New Thought (30%)
    25. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (28%)
    26. Secular Humanism (25%)
    27. Nontheist (19%)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ill take the quiz in a bit. I'm supposed to be packing now! But I love the two comments as well! Especially the second half of ths post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember this quiz from a couple years ago. I liked seeing your result!

    Great thoughts on forgiveness of sin. Thank you for posting those lovely words. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a seventh day adventist church in my hometown. But like you, I don't really know exactly what they are. But I do know, that they can only eat fish on certain days. I don't know why, lol. Mormons believe that there was another prophet, Joseph Smith I think, who found the "book of mormon", which is like their second holy book. Mormons make good muslims if they convert because they have strict rules too, like dressing modestly (covering from shoulders to knees), no intoxicants (not even caffeine), and they also fast certain days of every month. =)

    Here's my results-

    1. Islam (100%)
    2. Orthodox Judaism (100%)
    3. Reform Judaism (83%)
    4. Sikhism (81%)
    5. Baha'i Faith (74%)
    6. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (70%)
    7. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (61%)
    8. Jainism (58%)
    9. Orthodox Quaker (58%)
    10. Eastern Orthodox (55%)
    11. Roman Catholic (55%)
    12. Jehovah's Witness (54%)
    13. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (53%)
    14. Liberal Quakers (52%)
    15. Hinduism (47%)
    16. Seventh Day Adventist (47%)
    17. Mahayana Buddhism (42%)
    18. Unitarian Universalism (41%)
    19. Neo-Pagan (35%)
    20. Scientology (35%)
    21. Theravada Buddhism (32%)
    22. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (29%)
    23. New Thought (28%)
    24. New Age (26%)
    25. Nontheist (19%)
    26. Secular Humanism (18%)
    27. Taoism (15%)

    interesting! =)

    ~*~Mandy~*~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oldie goldie, good for you, Ma'shaallah! Wow, I didn't know that Christians took saturday as the day! That is soooo interesting!

    pancake, I look forward to your insight on the second part <3 Ma'shAllah!

    Falling Up, Jazaki Allah for visiting me here! Good luck on the packing! Summer vacation?

    Susanne, years ago, I was actually a member of belief net. I gotta tell you, whenever I think of that site, I usually feel really 'bad', lol. There was so much fighting going on-- but the one thing that I walked away from that site with was that quiz, LOL!

    Zaynab, Ma'shaAllah!! Fasting every month! And not even drinking caffeine! Wow! Sounds very interesting. Jazaki Allah for sharing. Let's go find us some Mormons and 'spread the deen', heheh <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great post, I liked your blog and added your feed.

    Christian church service

    ReplyDelete

Hey :D So am I talking to myself or...? Tell me what you think :D