Friday, 30 April 2010

Dear Sarira....A letter to the Grownup me

Asalamu aliakum and Hello!

Day 1...and post 1...

And- my very thought is- What have you gotten yourself into? 

Yeah, what a welcome. Seriously, welcome to my blog.

I think I'll start off with this letter I just found yesterday. I wrote this letter to myself almost 4 years ago. I found that sadly, I had forgotten a lot of it...and a lot of who I wanted to be...



"Dear Supposedly “Grown up and More Mature” Sarira
           
            How are you? Are you reading this in your brand, new private helicopter? Are congratulations in order- I mean, should I congratulate on you getting married? Having kids? Oh, my, GOD! You didn't turn into a grandma, already, did you? Awwwwwwwwwwww---eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeowww- Noooooooooo. [ You have just experienced a slight second of plain old hysteria. ]

            Well, you're probably wondering what the heck this is. Let me start at the very beginning. At this point in your life, you are 19 years old. You still haven’t learned to drive because you are the biggest procrastinator ever, you haven’t memorized as much as the Qurán as you wanted to, and you have never once completed reading a whole Arabic book (other than the Qurán), but you’re trying to do all of these or at least are planning on working on these three…InshaAllah, by the time you read this letter again, you will have completed this stuff and can “fondly chuckle” over the painstaking memories of trying to do these seemingly impossible tasks ;))

            Oh, and by the way, you're not insane. Well, not completely. You don't normally write letters to yourself. Not even to your older self. It's just that recently you've been assigned to keep a journal. Unfortunately, we (that would be me and you, which equals you and you) know how well you are keep at a journal. Let me spell this out for you. You don't. That is, you're H.O.R.R.I.B.L.E. at keeping a journal.  You're always delaying writing in your journal. Also, you're always rambling. You also always throw your journals away, only to find them a few years later—which somehow, brings me to the point of this letter. Just a few weeks ago, you found an old journal you'd had, 4 years ago. You skimmed through it and cringed at every piece of writing…but, the good news is that you remembered a little more about yourself when you read what you had written. So this is why I'm (which would be you) starting this journal with a letter to yourself…so that when you find it, you can remember who you were and who you wanted to be.

            So who are you? Sarira was born in Nov.10 of the year 1987. Her father, a university professor, and her mother, a former teacher and now a home engineer (LOL), say she showed great potential right from the beginning. Not only did she ..... Just kidding. Hahah, I was going to make it sound like the whole "about the author" thing...Oh yeah, you're a real joker. Your field of specialization is lame jokes. You excel at that. Like right now, you're cracking yourself up. Gosh, how sad. But seriously, you are a sensitive and shy person. It's funny because you're also very outspoken and outgoing, which might seem like a contradiction but it's true. You're a mixture.

            Who do you want to be?

            You want to be healthy. You want to be a teacher. You want to be a part of the revival of this Ummah. You want to have such a high sense of integrity, that people would trust you with their wallets. You want to be…a better you.

            And now, for the good, old preachy stuff. Here are some things you don't want to be.

            You don't want to be obsessed about money. It isn’t everything. Never forget that. [note from current me- I did forget this] There will always be bills to pay, things that are broken and that need to be fixed. Some days, you might begin to see money as the one goal you are striving for. Don't! Don’t fall into that trap. Don’t get carried away by money that you forget the simple pleasures- don’t make such a big deal about money that you put your health aside for it. There’s no wealth with out health. [Yeah, you're a riot. You're hilarious. You're amazing. You're smart. I can go on and on…Seriously, you considered going into advertising as your career, but somehow settled on English Literature. Well, settled isn't exactly the right word…]

            When you learn how to drive (assuming you stop using your parents as your personal chauffeurs, you lazy bum), stop and help the people who get stranded on the road- whose cars break down. You don't want to be one of those persons who just keeps on driving, even when they have nothing important to do. You always think to yourself, “If only, I could drive I would help her…" So, do that.

            Also, when you learn how to drive, and your kids (inshaAllah) ask you to take to their friend’s houses, try not to be annoying about the directions.

            Never forget just because you can do something better/faster and less messier than a kid that you should do it. It took a lot for you to get where you are now- a lot of mistakes, a lot of ugly projects … a lot of lessons. And you know what, you didn't turn out that bad, did you? With every mistake you did, every crooked line,  with all the coloring all over the place (and talk about weird colors to color with) you gained a little more experience….and I'd like to think a little more creative J  Never forget that it's the journey that counts…not that the project looks like an adult did it. Cause that won't benefit anybody.

            Never forget that your likes are different from other person's—even, maybe, God willing, your kid's. You have often told yourself that you won't force your kids to like what you like or expect them to be like you. Don't forget that.

            Don't forget how to relax, laugh, go roller blading in your abaya, how to finger paint, and etc.

            And lastly, don’t forget F, S, N, N, L, A, A, A and loads of others…And if you do forget “their names” and you grow really old, just remember- they loved you and more than that, you loved them. - and, May Allah be with you,

Looking forward to getting to know you better,
Your Younger Self.

P.S. Did you cut down on the chocolate intake yet? You used to experience chocolate withdrawal symptoms- and you have promised yourself several times to quit eating it."

----


P.S.S. No, I didn't cut down on my choco intake. I still eat a bar almost daily...(Hey, at least some things don't change :P)

P.S.S.S. I did learn to drive- and nope, I don't go roller blading in my abaya anymore. 


P.+ 4 other S's: What do you think your younger self would have to tell you now?

12 comments:

  1. wow mashallah interesting read. I wonder what I would have told myself 4 years ago. A lot of the things you wrote about seem so familiar. A lots changed in my life compared to now and 4 years ago. I totally have to get my license. I've had my permit for over 3 years heh I'm awesome at procrastinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Assalaamu Alaikum wa Rahmathullahi wa Barakaathuhu!

    Masha Allah!! What an awesome welcome!! love ya girl!!

    BarakAllahu feek!

    Btw, there were quite a few reminders for me...the ones regarding being a parent...I sooo have to remind myself every now and then to let it loose...chill...the sky is not gonna fall if I just take it easy (on being a parent)..

    May Allah Bless you and the future you with lots of kids..Aameen!! ((((hugs)))

    Wassalaamu Alaikum wa Rahmathullahi wa Barakaathuhu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. salamalikom!!! nice read!!! LOL I am so happy you're blogging! woo: I can't wait to keep up with your blog! love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wa'alykum wa salam wa rahmat Allah wa barkatoo,
    amira!! U're so cute! Having your permit for 3 years, hehe, mashaAllah.

    Ummafraz and texan, jazaki Allah koli khair <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woow that was such an enjoyable read Mashallah :) wonder what i was up to 4 years ago
    haha
    xx
    naz@ Somalianarab.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Assalamu alaikum,

    I'm looking forward to read all 50 posts!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pancake- you're such a sweetie! But I may write more than 50 posts- I just won't write for more than 50 days. All tricky I am!! Haha. Seriously, all of a sudden I feel like I have a lot to say :P

    Jazaki Allah Naz :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. mashaAllah what a post.. beautifuly written.. :) I enjoyed it..

    4 years ago I juat got engaged/nikah mashaAllah it was a new start for me.. wasnt that young though, 26 years :D mashaAllah

    I love your posts..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable note to yourself! I loved it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH my gosh, I only just came back and saw your comments.

    Tesa, Jazaki Allah for visiting me here :D Ma'shaAllah on 4 years ago being a new start for you :D

    Susanne, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. But why does it have to be only 50 days??? I don't get it...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Assalamualaikum ..
    Ok this is my reaction -- >
    "Oh my gosh .. this is sooo cuteeee!!! :D I'm definitely gona try writing a letter to myself! :D"

    ReplyDelete

Hey :D So am I talking to myself or...? Tell me what you think :D