Sunday, 16 May 2010

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!!! @-@!!


Asalamu aliakuam wa rahmat Allah wa barkatoo and HellOoooO!
So my mother turned on the t.v. the other day and I stared….in shock. There was this show I used to watch as a kid called “Yowmiyat Wanees”, “Wanees’s Days”, and it was basically an Arabic “Billy Cosby” kinda show. Basically, it was a nice humorous family oriented show that revolved around Wanees, the father, trying to raise his kids and instill in them good morals.
Why was I staring in shock?
Because right on t.v, it was Wanees. And it was part 6 of the show....
And he was now…a grandfather….and his kids were all grown up and were now parents on the show! 
The thing that shocked me was that I could tell that they really were still the same actors and that they had really grown up. I couldn’t believe it. When did that happen, I thought?
And then I remembered- well, Sarira, you’re 22 years old.
23, if you go by the Hirji calendar!  
And I was in even more shock…
It may sound young to some- but in many countries around the world, I have passed over half the average life span. In Swaziland the average life span of a female is 32 years. Being 23, that would mean, I’d only have 9 years left!
That’s scary.
It just makes me wonder…where did the time go? How did I spend my life so far?



Photobucket

P.S. Okay, for some 'sunshine' after this dark and dreary post, hehe, there's another cute test. It's the cutsie cupcake test. I actually can't decide which cupcake is the cutest, but I checked a few different results and they'll all make you smile, lol ;)

ETA (edited to add) for Miss Karavita:
What is the Hijri calendar, you ask? Well, you see pagans of Mecca did not like the message of complete monotheism that the Prophet came with and the social reforms Islam brought with it. They refused to allow this ‘message’ to be spread, so they tortured, abused, persecuted, boycotted, tormented the followers of the Prophet. 

Let me give you an example of this torture. Bilal was a slave who accepted Islam; his master ordered he renounce Islam but Bilal refused. His master than ordered that Bilal’s hands and feet be tied. Then, he  dragged outside the city wall to lie, without shelter, on the sands, under the scorching sun.  But all the time Bilal reaffirmed his faith, saying, ‘One God, only one God.’ So then, his master ordered that a great, heavy heavy rock be placed on his chest. Under the weight of the rock Bilal could hardly breathe.  But still, through dry, cracked lips he whispered, ‘One God, only one God.’

Anyways, as you can see, the Companions were persecuted and tortured so greatly, the Prophet and his handful of followers were granted leave from Makkah and emigrated to Madinah. This emigration is known as the ‘hijra’; our calendar begins from then.
Oh and just for your information, when the Prophet came back to Mecca, with a force of 10,000, he did not come back as a conqueror. He came back with his head lowered in a humble fashion. In fact, while entering Makkah, Saad Ibn Ubadah said: "Today is the day of epic victory. Today, Allah will humiliate Quraysh (the pagans for all that they tortured them)." The Prophet was so angry and said "No Saad. Today is the day of mercy”. The Prophet then told the Meccans that they were forgiven! Needless to say, seeing such compassion and forgivness, many became Muslims.
 Jazaki Allah for your great question ;)

11 comments:

  1. Sarira, that was pretty depressing. LOL.

    I know you tried to make it up in the end with the 'quiz', but still...

    LOL. May I ask, though. What is the hijri calendar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karavita, that's a great question. I've gone and edited my post for everyone to know :

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful! post! thanks mama. Masha'a'Allah! Subhana'Allah about the age!

    ReplyDelete
  4. salaam alaikum sarira,

    Great post! I like to say " years young" makes me feel youthful =) Say it with me, I am 22 years young! I myself am 29 years young, 30 if I go by the hijri calendar. Which doesn't seem too old if we consider the age we will be in paradise (around 30-33 years young) =)

    “The people of Paradise will enter Paradise hairless, beardless with their eyes anointed with kohl, aged thirty or thirty-three years.” (Narrated by At-Tirmidhi. Classed as sahih (authentic) by Al-Albani)

    Remembering the afterlife in comparison to this world will also make one feel young!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha i was talking to my cousin about soon being 20 no more a teen, i feel grown up but also a bit old still smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rene, alrighty, joining in with you, "I'm 22 years young", hehehehehe!!

    Yes, when you consider the afterlife, 30's the best age :D Jazaki Allah for providing that hadith :)

    It's just that there's another hadith in which the Prophet sallah Allahoo alyhee wa salam said the people of his ummah will live to their 60's, meaning the average life span is in the 60's. I tried searching for it but couldn't find it in English. :(

    Aunty, Jazaki Allah for reading :D

    Naz, you just made me feel old, again! You're only turning 20, lol. May Allah bless you with many more years ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. assalamu alaikum,


    jeeeee, thanks!!! You made me feel super old right about now :-/

    and especially when kids refer to me as auntie :-/

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh little sister, i have no idea :P i've lived 44 years and still feel young :P . but not all the time.. you knopw, what kind of things make me feel old? like when my firstborn went to school, all the teachers were older than me. all the doctors i saw that time, were older than me etc.. get the picture? now almost all the teachers in my 7 y/o's school are younger than me, most of the doctors i see ( and i need them more often subhanaAllah) are younger than me.. etc.. it feels so weird, when you still feel like 20 inside :D . alhamdulilah for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pancake, I freaked this summer when my 13 year old cousin called me that!! LOL! I told her, "WHAT? No, way!!"


    Oldie goldie- awww, I hope my post didn't offend you. I do think of you as young! You've got a youthful aura to you, ma'shaAllah. Awwww, as long as you feel 20 inside :D

    Anyways, you guys! It's different for you! You guys are married- you can think of a great achievement: your kids, ma'shaAllah. I can't think of one for myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Salaams sis, I " wish" I could say I am 22 years young (or 23 Hijri) lol Sarira Oh dear I feel so olddddddddddddddd. But jokes apart, I loved the post.We just have to make the most of our time as time belongs to Allah and is not for us to waste it. Every day is a gift that's why we call it " The Present" Jazakallah

    ReplyDelete

Hey :D So am I talking to myself or...? Tell me what you think :D